Pets on holiday

When you want to take your pet abroad, you must adhere to the international laws and regulations. On the website of the LICG (Landelijk InformatieCenturm Gezelschapsdieren), you can retrieve the import requirements of both countries within the EU and outside the EU.

Traveling within the EU with dogs, cats and ferrets.

As of July 3, 2004 apply to the transport of dogs, cats and ferrets within the EU the following general rules:
  • The animals must have a European passport.
  • The animals must be identified. Since July 3, 2011 is therefore only allowed the chip. A tattoo is only valid if you can demonstrate that it is put before July 3, 2011, and if it is readable.
  1. The animals must be vaccinated against rabies (rabies vaccination) at least 21 days before the rice. The chip must be inserted before the rabies vaccination is given (the same day is allowed).
  • When you are traveling with more than five animals, falls your trip for the legislation meestl under the category "commercial traffic" (trade). In this case, different rules apply.
  • If an animal on his own travels, so without you or anyone else who travels to the animal responsible for the animal, it is used for trade. For this, different rules may apply. About animals traveling as trade you can obtain more information from the NVWA.

Travelling with animals younger than three months

Traveling with animals younger than three months are not allowed in some countries because they can not yet be vaccinated against rabies. However, there are countries where this is allowed, if you have a statement that the animal until the trip grew up in the birthplace and not been in contact with potentially rabid animals.

Other European countries

For European countries that are not members of the EU may have different requirements. In some cases, the requirements are the same as those of EU countries, but not always. If you are with your loved traveling to a country outside the EU, you should also pay attention to what the requirements are to take your animal back to the EU (to the Netherlands). Sometimes the requirements in such country are themselves not so strict, but you need to return to an EU country can provide a blood test. This rule before you leave so you do not get into trouble if you go back home.
Source: Landelijk InformatieCentrum Gezelschapsdieren
The above information is not legally binding.